Thomas Markle is not going to walk his daughter, Meghan, down the aisle Saturday, nor will he travel to England, because we’ve learned he’s dealing with something far more serious … major surgery.
Thomas tells TMZ, he will go into surgery at 7:30 AM Wednesday. He tells us, “They [doctors] will go in and clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed.”
TMZ broke the story, Thomas had a heart attack a week ago and began having chest pains Monday. He checked himself into the hospital Tuesday and a battery of tests determined he needed surgery. Thomas said the heart attack did significant damage.
As we reported, he had decided Monday not to attend the wedding because he felt he had embarrassed Meghan and the Royal Family by staging a photo op with a paparazzi agency. Thomas’ daughter, Samantha, tells us he received only $1,500 in payment plus a small percentage of the royalties.
Thomas had a change of heart Tuesday … after receiving texts from Meghan saying she loved him and was concerned for his health. He told us he hoped he could get out of the hospital and travel to England to walk Meghan down the aisle, but now he realizes it’s all but impossible given the upcoming surgery.
Queen Elizabeth II is “very angry” with Thomas Markle for selling staged photos of himself taken just days before the royal wedding, according to a report in London’s The Daily Express.
The powers that be are allegedly still scrambling to deal with the fallout ahead of Meghan Markle’s wedding to Prince Harry on Saturday.
- “Lord Chamberlain, Her Majesty and the Duke are very angry with Meghan’s father,” a source told the outlet. “They will speak to him once he arrives about the royal protocol.”
- But will he arrive? After news that he hired a paparazzo to snap “candid” photos emerged, he admitted that he’d staged the shots, not to make money, but to make sure negative images of him weren’t published. He also claimed he’d had a heart attack the previous week and would no longer be attending the wedding.
- According to The Daily Mail, Meghan is pleading “with her father to change his mind,” and Prince Harry is “devastated.”
- The story changed yet again on Tuesday, and it looks like the prince’s displeasure and his daughter’s pleading did the trick. Thomas told TMZ that he would in fact walk down the aisle. “Of course I’d walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment,” he said. “I’d like to be a part of history.”
- But he still opened the door for a no-show. He said it depends on his doctor giving him the green light to travel. He also disputed the idea that the Queen is “very angry” with him.
- “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” a Kensington Palace spokesman said Monday. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”
- If Thomas is a no-show, it is unclear who will walk the 36-year-old down the aisle on Saturday at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle.