A topless protestor charged comedian Bill Cosby as he entered a courthouse outside of Philadelphia to begin his retrial on sexual assault charges.
The protestor, named Nicolle Rochelle, was stopped by police officers, arrested and charged with summary disorderly conduct. Rochelle is reportedly an actress who appeared in four episodes of The Cosby Show. She painted her body with the names of Cosby’s accusers and the words “Women’s Lives Matter.”
- She has been released and doesn’t face jail time but may be fined.
- “The main goal was to make Cosby uncomfortable because that is exactly what he has been doing for decades to women,” she said afterward, adding that she personally hadn’t had any bad experiences with him. She is part of the feminist group Femen, which is known for staging topless protests.
- In the wake of the incident, Cosby’s spokesman Andrew Wyatt is praising the deputies and calling for increased security at the trial.
- Cosby is on trial because Andrea Constand has accused him of drugging and sexually assaulting her at his home in 2004. She is among several dozen women who have made similar claims, but only her case can go to trial because of statute of limitations laws. Cosby, 80, denies all wrongdoing. His first trial ended in a hung jury.
- Judge Steven O’Neill ruled Mondaythat a juror who allegedly said he thought Cosby was guilty could remain on the case. Opening statements were delayed for several hours as he weighed his decision.
- As the retrial got underway, a prosecutor revealed that Cosby paid Constand nearly $3.4 million in 2006 in a settlement with her. District Attorney Kevin Steele highlighted the settlement during his opening statement, claiming he wouldn’t have paid as much if the accusations against him were false.
Cosby’s lead lawyer Tom Mesereau, who rose to fame getting an acquittal for Michael Jackson in his 2005 child molestation case, informed jurors that he intended to prove “just how greedy” Constand was in her pursuit of the settlement.
The faces in this picture are priceless ???
Like is Bill Cosby laughing or averting his eyes pic.twitter.com/UsriSRih73
— Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) April 9, 2018