Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty to felony charges of committing a forcible sexual act in the first degree on Monday. And while the disgraced movie mogul was led into the Manhattan Supreme Court in handcuffs, he was allowed to go free on jail.
Justice James Burke heard but did not rule on the prosecution’s demands for a stricter bail arrangement. Weinstein spent about 15 minutes in court, according to reports, and much of that time was taken up by arguments about bail.
The lead prosecutor Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi argued that he should be confined to house arrest in Manhattan given the seriousness of the charges against him. He remains free on $1 million bail and is staying at his home in Connecticut.
MORE CHARGES EXPECTED, PREVIEW OF TRIAL
Weinstein’s lawyer, Ben Brafman, said he is expecting more charges against the 66-year-old. Weinstein continues to maintain that the allegations are false and that his name will be cleared.
A lawyer for the third alleged victim says her client will testify if the court goes to trail.
In a bizarre twist, after the trial Brafman told reporters that Weinstein is working as a paralegal for him. He is also working on a few other film projects and is eager to get his movie career going again.
- Last month, Weinstein was slapped with more serious charges, ones that could have him facing prison for life. He is now charged with sexual assault in the first degree against a third women, in addition to the previous charges of assault against two other women.
- Police in Beverly Hills, L.A. and the U.K. are also pursuing cases against Weinstein.
- In addition, he faces dozens of lawsuits filed by some of the 80+ women who have accused him of misconduct, including rape.
- The Oscar-winning producer is set to appear in court on September 20th.
CHECK IT OUT:
Read the Full Story: https://bit.ly/2ulS7ua