Many of Roseanne Barr‘s castmates were quick to speak out against the star’s racist tweet that led to the cancellation of their ABC show Roseanne on Tuesday — and she has a few words in return.
The 65-year-old actress previously said she was quitting Twitter after she received backlash for a racist tweet she wrote on Monday about former Barack Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett. However, she returned to the social media platform just one night later to claim her tweet stemmed from using the prescription insomia drug Ambien, as well as to respond to many of her costars’ statements on the abrupt cancellation.
Michael Fishman, who played Barr’s son D.J. during the show’s original run and its 2018 reboot, tweeted that he was “devastated” by the show getting canceled, in addition to denouncing his TV mom’s remarks.
“Our cast, crew, writers, and production staff strived for inclusiveness, with numerous storylines designed to reflect inclusiveness,” he wrote. “The words of one person do not exemplify the thinking of all involved.”
Fishman added, “I condemn these statements vehemently. They are reprehensible and intolerable, contradicting my beliefs and outlook on life and society. I have always lived and taught my children to be inclusive. I believe our show strived to embrace different backgrounds and opinions, through open dialogue.”
Barr responded to Fishman, 36, in the early morning hours on Wednesday, writing, “I created the platform for that inclusivity and you know it. You throw me under the bus. nice!”
Sara Gilbert, 43, who played Roseanne’s daughter Darlene, also reacted on Twitter, saying that Barr’s comments were “abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed with her actions to say the least.”
Barr’s reply? “Wow! unreal.”
Emma Kenney, 18, who played Roseanne’s granddaughter Harris, claimed she was preparing to quit the show when she learned it had been cancelled and said she was “hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed” by Barr’s tweet.
In response to a fan’s tweet defending Barr and criticizing her costars for turning their backs, the outspoken Donald Trump supporter said, “I feel bad for @POTUS-he goes thru this every single day.”
The original Roseanne ran for nine seasons. The rebooted Roseanne made it 10 episodes before getting the boot, after star Roseanne Barr wrote a racially charged tweet about Obama advisor Valerie Jarret. ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey, who issued a statement condemning Barr’s “abhorrent” and “repugnant” Twitter statement, canceled the show, but the non-Barr actors, including John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert, signed contracts for another 13 episodes. They’re going to get paid either way, so EW reports that ABC is considering building a new show around the remaining cast.
Roseanne was created by Roseanne Barr. The characters were conceived by her and Matt Williams. If the sitcom were to continue without the matriarch, the actress would still benefit financially. So a key insider informs EW that discussions will continue today on whether it makes sense to keep the other actors but potentially design a new series around them. (Via)
In other words, ABC can pay Goodman, Metcalf, etc. for doing nothing, or they can put together a new show around some of the most talented comedic actors on television, without the headache of one problematic star (although it’s a near-certainty she’ll share her feelings on Twitter). A “competing studio” noted to EW that to simply dust a show under the carpet is “not that much money,” but where ABC might take a hit is in advertising.
The show brought in an estimated $45 million of advertising revenue for ABC this year, and the network likely would have collected more than $60 million next season, according to Kantar Media. (Via)
Roseanne Barr’s ex-husband Tom Arnold has weighed in further on the cancellation of his former wife’s iconic ABC sitcom Roseanne –– and her mental state.
Arnold, 59, claims the actress was ready to say goodbye to the show after just one season of the reboot.
“It had to happen,” he told The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published Wednesday. “And I am going to tell you the truth, she wanted it to happen, if you saw how her tweets escalated this weekend.”
“If it hadn’t happened yesterday, this season would have been so awful for everyone every day because she would have felt like she was [being] taken advantage [of], just like when I left the show,” Arnold said.
Barr, 65, and Arnold were married in 1990 but divorced in 1994. He also worked as a writer on the show beginning in 1988.
Arnold suggested taking away Barr’s phone might have prevented her Twitter attack on Valerie Jarrett on Monday.