Two of the most high-profile Scientology members “despise” each other, according to a new interview with a former member of the church.
Brendan Tighe claims he acted as Tom Cruise’s personal security guard when he was still with the church, and he tells Australian mag New Idea that Cruise and John Travolta warred over the favor of Scientologist-in-chief David Miscavige.
- Tighe spills: “Cruise is the only celeb with a direct line to Miscavige. Travolta didn’t have that. Travolta doesn’t get anything free, no one is giving him absurd gifts like an airplane hangar, custom-made bikes, or over-the-top favors.”
- He claims that when Cruise received one of Scientology’s highest honors, the Freedom Medal of Valor at a special party in 2008, Travolta “exploded with jealousy.”
- Tighe says: “It’s no secret that Cruise and Travolta despised each other. I can assure you Travolta doesn’t recognize Cruise as a superior in any way. When Cruise got that medal, Travolta was so pissed off.”
- The 37-year-old Tighe left the church in 2011. His mother is still reportedly a high-ranking member.
- The church of Scientology has responded to the claims by characterizing Tight as “an apostate who has a personal axe to grind.”